Wednesday, December 11, 2013

life transitions

Life Transitions Life transitions are big steps in life and sometimes they’re not the easiest. After students graduate high school and start attending college, they realize they are on their own. College is a big step. It has changed me by helping me manage time, learn what is important in school, and become independent. When I was in high school, I used to be into softball and just enjoy being around friends. I would find any excuse to get out of doing anything that involved school. I was not really into going to class and doing class work. After time passed in college, I realized I would not be able to do what I did in high school to pass. College has helped in many ways but one of them is to balance my time more now between school, working, and having family time. I am busier and have to see what should be done first. In high school, I would not do much of my homework or assignments, just enough to pass the class. The only thing that made me want to get a passing grade was to stay in softball and not be benched for having low grades. I was more focused on softball and going out with friends. Once I got to college, I noticed it was not that easy to just do enough work to pass the class; I had to actually make time to do homework and study. School had to be my number one priority in order to pass my classes. Whenever I was not at work or in class and had homework to do, that was the first thing I did if I wanted to go out later on. There were many times when things came up with my friends or family at the last minute and I would have to stay and do homework when I should have done it earlier. For example, either my friends or family members would ask me to go out to the movies as a group and I had to say no because I decided to slack off on my homework and study time. I do not have as much time as usual to just slack off and watch television or just be on the phone. I have to see what had to be completed for school before doing anything else. College has made me realize what is important and what is not. Studying and making the right decisions are made with more thought than before just doing. Instead of just guessing and doing the homework to show that I did it actually put effort in it. In high school I would just put random things into my work and act as if I did it just to get credit out of it. Now, in college I put effort into it because it helps me in the long run. I have noticed that subjects of the homework comes up in class discussion, so I can know what is going on in class. College has made me realize if you do not do your work and put effort into it there will be a lot of times that the work comes up and you realize you could have known the answer only if you did the work you were suppose to do. Also, college has made me realize that a sport is not as important as education. For example, in high school I would prefer to play softball than attending class. The environment from coming out of high school into college has taught me how to be more independent, too. Professors are not going to be like high school teachers who hold your hand and tell you that you are falling behind. It is all up to you to figure out if you are doing well in the class or not. Also, not asking questions when you need help will get you nowhere. For example, I learned if I did not understand an assignment, it was best to ask a question than assume what the professor really wants. For example, when a professor assigns an assignment that it is worth a lot of points and they go over it, the professor is not going to go to each student and ask what they do not understand. I have learned to be more sociable in class rather than just keeping to myself, too. There have been times I noticed it is best to get to know classmates in your class in case you are not able to make it to class and have questions on what you missed out or have a question on an assignment. Most professors do not talk face-to-face about a problem you have in class; they expect you to notice and ask for help. In high school if I did not turn in an assignment the teacher would call me up and talk to me about how it affected my grade. Also in high school teachers would let you turn in late work or re-do the assignment. In college, you only have one chance. When I did not like a grade on one of my assignments I would have to go up to the teacher and ask if I can re-do the assignment for a higher grade. Usually the teacher would say yes, but not a perfect score and only a limited. The environment of college has also made me notice that I have become more mature compared to high school. College classes are mixed with different age groups, and students in college actually are there to learn and not to fool around during a lecture. In high school I would not pay attention to class; I would just talk with my classmates or be on my phone. Overall, college has changed me into a better person. College has taught me to manage my time with school, work, and still going out and having fun with friends. I have learned not to slack off and to keep up with everything. Also, it has helped me see what is important and what is not, like thinking twice about a decision. Finally, it made me more independent; now in college I do not have someone to hold my hand and tell me how I am doing in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment